State Requirements for Nutrition and Dietitian Fields


Nutrition Careers in Alaska

Per the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR), Alaska has 193 Registered Dietitians (RD) in July 2013. The Bureau of Labor Statistics states that in May 2012, dietitians working in Alaska made the fifth-highest annual salary of dietitians working in all states, at $63,560.  Registered Dietitians in Alaska may work in a variety of settings, including hospitals, health care facilities, long-term care facilities, schools, military bases, and within Indian tribes. All Registered Dietitians working in Alaska must have a license to work in the state. The following information will describe how to become a registered dietitian in Alaska.

Step 1

Get Registered Dietitian Education in Alaska

The Alaska Dietetic Association requires that, if you wish for dietitian licensing in the state, you must meet the mandates of the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) and become a Registered Dietitian. Completion of one of the following educational programs accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) is required:

ACEND-Accredited Programs Leading to Registered Dietitian (RD) Licensure in Alaska:

In order to become a Registered Dietitian in Alaska, you must complete one of these programs:

  • Coordinated Programs in Dietetics (CP) - CP Programs provide both undergraduate courses and internships to fulfill the CDR’s requirements for licensing as a registered dietitian in Alaska. Currently, no CP programs in dietetics are offered at this time.
  • Didactic Programs in Dietetics (DPD) – DPD Programs offer undergraduate courses that lead to a bachelor’s degree. After completion of the DPD, you must still fulfill the internship requirement. DPD programs in Alaska are:

Nutritionist Licensing in Alaska

If you wish to become a licensed nutritionist authorized to practice in the state of Alaska, you must meet one of the following educational requirements:

Additionally, you must complete an internship in human nutrition that is at least 900 hours in duration.
Once these qualifications have been met, apply for Nutritionist Licensure in Alaska via this application form. Make sure to include the application fee of $50 and license fee of $50 via check or money order payable to the State of Alaska. Mail to State of Alaska; Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development; Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing; Nutritionist Licensing; P.O. Box 110806; Juneau, A 99811-0806.


*Featured Master's Nutritionist Program:

UNC's Online MPH With Nutrition Concentration. UNC's top-ranked public health school offers an online MPH with Nutrition concentration. Complete in 20 months. Bachelor's degree required. GRE Required.

American University’s online Master of Science in Nutrition Education will prepare you to become an influential leader in nutrition education and advocacy while promoting nutrition and healthy lifestyle choices in your community. This program does not prepare you to be a registered dietician. However, there are currently registered dieticians in this program for professional development and career advancement.

Benedictine University's Online Master’s Degrees in Nutrition and Wellness programs offer an advanced education in nutrition science with a focus on promoting health and wellness.

Back to Top

Step 2

Alaska Dietetic Internship (DI)

With bachelor’s degree in hand, you are ready to apply for a Dietetic Internship (DI) in Alaska. These programs are accredited by ACEND and offer you the opportunity to work supervised in the field of dietetics for 1200 hours. In Alaska, DI programs include:

  • University of Alaska, Anchorage
    • Program lasts nine months and is full-time
    • Concentration in Alaska Native Culture and the Alaska Healthcare Delivery System

Back to Top

Step 3

Alaska Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) Examination

In Alaska, before becoming licensed to practice as a registered dietitian you must pass the CDR Examination for Registered Dietitians. This exam is taken after all coursework and internship time is finished. You will receive an email from ACT, Inc., the testing service of CDR when you are eligible to take the test. From the date of receipt of this email, you have one year to schedule and take the test.  

The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Student Exam Prep Site offers an online course and practice test for a fee that may help you prepare to take the CDR test. You may also purchase the Study Guide for the Registration Examination for Dietitians and Study Outline from CDR. The Registration Examination for Dietitians Handbook for Candidates  will help you in the application and examination process.

You will register and pay for the CDR exam online. The CDR exam costs $200 and you may pay online by credit card. Once PSI Exams Online has received payment, they will email you to schedule the location, date and time of your CDR Registered Dietitian Exam. Exams are given year round at these Alaska PSI Exam Centers:

  • University Center, 3901 Old Seward Hwy, Rm. 112, Anchorage
  • 2518 East Tudor Rd, Suite 101, Anchorage

You must bring a photo ID and your email confirming your scheduled date, place and time with you to the test center on the day of the exam.

CDR Registration Exam for Dietitians

The Registration Exam for Dietitians is a three hour, multiple-choice, computerized examination. You must answer every question and may not skip answers or go back to change any answers. It will range from 125 to 145 questions, but you must answer a minimum of 125 questions for the exam to be scored.  
Four major areas of dietetics and nutrition are covered on the exam:

  • Food Service Systems (17 percent of exam, covers items such as sustainability, facility planning, sanitation, menu development and procurement)
  • Principles of Dietetics (12 percent of exam, covers concepts including management, research, education, nutrition and food science)
  • Nutrition Care - Individuals and Groups (50 percent of exam, covers concepts like evaluation, planning, diagnosis and assessment)
  • Management of Food and Nutrition Programs and Services (21 percent of exam, includes questions on quality improvement, public relations, managing finances, human resources, and management functions)

You will receive your score report at the test center on the day of the exam. You must get at least a scaled score of 25 to pass the CDR exam. You will receive an email from CDR giving you information on your new RD credential.

You may re-take the exam 45 days after the date of the first exam if you do not pass the first time. Write to or call the Commission on Dietetic Registration, 120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2000, Chicago, IL 60606. (800) 877-1600, Ext. 5500. Ask for a reauthorization to take the CDR RD Exam.

Back to Top

Step 4

State Licensing as a Registered Dietitian in Alaska

If you have your Registered Dietitian credential from CDR, you are ready to apply for licensure as a dietitian in Alaska. Complete the Alaska Dietitian Application, and have it notarized. Enclose a check/money order payable to the State of Alaska for $50 (application fee) plus $50 (license fee) for a total of $100. Ask the CDR to send verification of your registration directly to the State of Alaska Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development, Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing.  Attach a recent head shot photo of yourself to the application. Mail to the State of Alaska; Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development; Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing; Dietitian Licensing; P.O. Box 110806; Juneau, A 99811-0806.

Back to Top

Step 5

Maintain Alaska License and Specialty Certifications

Renewing Your Alaska License

As of August 2013, Alaska does not require its licensed Registered Dietitians to complete any continuing education in order to renew their license to practice in the state. You must renew your license every other year and pay a $50 renewal fee. Use the Biennial Dietitian License Renewal Form and pay the fee via check or money order to the State of Alaska. Mail to State of Alaska; Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development; Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing; Dietitian Licensing Program; P.O. Box 110806; Juneau, A 99811-0806.

Maintaining your CDR Registration as a Registered Dietitian in Alaska

The Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR)  requires that you renew your registration with them every five years. During each five-year period, you must complete 75 units of continuing professional education (CPE). Utilize the PDP Guide  to determine what qualifies as CPE. Currently, four approved CPE activities in Alaska are listed on CDR’s online CPE database:

  • Current Concepts of insulin Management, Anchorage
  • Herbs, Drugs and the Body, Fairbanks
  • Intrinsic Coach Development Series for Health and Wellness Professionals, teleconference
  • Professional Leadership – elected offices - Anchorage

Specialty Certifications in Nutrition in Alaska

One way that many Registered Dietitians in Alaska fulfill their CPE requirements with the CDR and move forward in their professions is to earn specialty certifications in nutrition-related areas. The CDR recognizes that certain specialty certifications earned in each five-year renewal period are sufficient to fulfill the entire 75 CPEU requirement for that period. These certifications include (but are not limited to):

  • Board Certified in Advanced Diabetes Management, American Association of Diabetes Educators
  • International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, International Board of Lactation Consultant Educators
  • Certified Diabetes Educator, National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators
  • Canadian Board Certified Diabetes Educator, Canadian Diabetes Education Certification Board
  • Certified Personal Trainer, National Council on Strength and Fitness
  • Certified Advanced Health and Fitness Specialist, American Council on Exercise
  • Certified in Family and Consumer Sciences, American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
  • Certified Health Education Specialist, National Center for Health Education Credentialing
  • Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist, National Strength and Conditioning Association
  • Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality, Healthcare Quality Certification Board

Back to Top

Web Statistics